[aprssig] UI-View setup for messages

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Thu Aug 31 15:40:28 EDT 2006

Andy VK4TEC wrote...

> One thing that is lacking in our area is a method of being able to message
> a mobile from the internet.

An IGate near the mobile needs to be set up to gate messages to local
stations... edit IGATE.INI and set max digis to whatever is appropriate. In
populated areas (multiple IGates) setting it zero would be good. If there it
is several digi hops to the next IGate, consider setting it to one or two as
appropriate. If there isn't another IGate for 1000 km, you might end up
setting it for 7 digis, but that would be an extreme example. Most IGates
should probably be set to zero or one.

> I understand how to run the aprs server bit etc. and have had the igate
> running before.
>
> What I need to know is how to tell ui-view to gate messages to rf ?

As above, set max digis to an appropriate setting.

> Do I go into "Edit IGATE.INI" and then put for "Inet to RF"
>
> VK* = RECIP
> VK* = DEST

Be careful here. The above would gate ALL messages to ALL VK stations.
Whether or not that kills your local network depends on how many messages
are being sent to VK stations. My recommendation would be to NOT enter those
settings. Just gate traffic to local stations... i.e. stations heard direct
or via one or two digis as is appropriate for your local conditions.

You can watch what it is gating to an from RF by clicking on "show IGate
traffic".

As Cap pointed out, you also need to enable "gate local messages" in APRS
server setup.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH