[aprssig] Delayed packets (yet again)

john b. leonard, jr. w9jbl at comcast.net
Sat Aug 26 10:12:44 EDT 2006

Are we over-thinking this situation?

It occurs to me that it may be a combination of things, all contributing to
a built-in delay, which may be characteristic of the IS system.

Based on recent messages, both here and on the UI-View list, there seem to
be two concerns:

1.                   A delay between the times a beacon is sent out from an
APRS station via RF to when it's seen on APRS IS

2.                   Tracked objects "jumping" back some distance

The delay may be caused by the time lag between a packet going out at 1200
baud, going from the TNC to the computer at 9600 baud, being picked up by an
RF-Internet gateway, going to the server at much higher b/s rates, crammed
into the server's buffer, then sent out on the Internet to each station
connected, some of which are not range-filtered, and finally sent from the
computer at whatever rate the client NIC/computer sends it to the screen.

Also, here is a recent log of activity of my station alone, from the T2
Midwest server.  Range filtered at 300km:

Packets for W9JBL
Time in UTC

8/26/2006 13:20
W9JBL>APU25N,WA9CJN-15*,IL2-1,qAo,WB9WLS:=4155.50N/08845.11W- {UIV32N}

8/26/2006 13:24
W9JBL>APU25N,WA9CJN-15*,IL2-1,qAR,W9TMW:=4155.50N/08845.11W- {UIV32N}

8/26/2006 13:34
W9JBL>APU25N,TCPIP*,qAC,T2MIDWEST:=4155.50N/08845.11W- {UIV32N}

8/26/2006 13:36
W9JBL>APAGW,WA9CJN-15,WIDE2*,qAS,N9ZIP:Using Elcom uTNT Plus

8/26/2006 13:39
W9JBL>APU25N,TCPIP*,qAC,T2MIDWEST:=4155.50N/08845.11W- {UIV32N}

8/26/2006 13:43
W9JBL>APU25N,TCPIP*,qAC,T2MIDWEST:=4155.50N/08845.11W- {UIV32N}

8/26/2006 13:44
W9JBL>APU25N,TCPIP*,qAC,T2MIDWEST:=4155.50N/08845.11W- {UIV32N}

As the log shows, some packets are picked up directly by the server, others
are received after one AND two hops.  Unless the server is reliably
filtering out ALL dupes, this may account for the jumping I saw in W9JBL-9
last weekend, where a late beaconed tracker packet hit the client computer,
containing GPS data made the icon regress to where the prior beacon located
it.

Just a thot/question.

bl
"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
- Will Rogers

  _____