[aprssig] USB host controller chip, and single chip GPS.

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Tue Aug 22 10:58:02 EDT 2006

I've looked at a few of those.  Aside from being a little difficult to
implement in a low-cost device (they all seem to require a full address/data
bus and possibly a DMA controller), the big problem is drivers.  Even if
you're running one of the supported operating systems you're still probably
going to have to write a Garmin driver, and possibly a couple of drivers for
non-standard serial converter chips.

Yeah, it's possible, but it's still much easier at this point to go with an
embedded Linux box.  If I had time, I'd love to be able to develop a
packaged single-board computer with a couple of good radio interfaces and a
customized Linux build that'd let you do APRS, IRLP, and so forth without a
lot of hassle.  But right now I don't have the time for another project of
that scale.

Or maybe it's already been done.  I've seen some Linux distros and Knoppix
CDs, but does anyone sell a low-cost Linux SBC that comes with radio
interface hardware?

Scott
N1VG