[aprssig] Cheap USB GPS available again

Ben Jackson ben at ben.com
Sat Aug 19 03:16:32 EDT 2006

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 06:48:07PM +1200, Ian ZL1VFO wrote:

> Been here, done this (bypassed the converter chip)
> Have a look at <http://www.qsl.net/zl1vfo/gps/gps.htm>
> & see if the internals match ...

No, this is not a SiRF GPS.  It's a lot smaller than that module, too.
I'm assuming that the GPS antenna is the same size, and if so the
one I've got is the size of that antenna mezzanine board and that's it.
There are no metal cans.

I also noticed while probing around that the internals seemed to run at
3.3V.  It may be that if you don't need the USB interface you can supply
whatever voltage to the 3.3V regulator for the GPS alone.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben at ben.com>