[aprssig] D700 plus mapping

Alex Carver agcme2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 16 13:30:02 EDT 2006

It would depend entirely on the mapping software but
if it understands GPWPL sentences, there's no need for
external TNCs or splitting the GPS cable to get
mapping to work while the D700 is in APRS mode.

When in APRS mode, the serial port is still active.
It will spit out each station heard as a NEMA GPWPL
sentence up to the GPS but also back towards a
computer.  This is as long as you've done two things.
One, enable the GPS on the unit including uploading
received posits.  Two, you need to be sure to issue
the "AI 1" (alpha india one) command to the D700
through its serial port.  This is the "Auto
Information" mode of the D700.  It will echo back
every command you send and anything the radio is
doing.  So if the GPS sends a position sentence to the
D700, that will appear on the D700's serial port if AI
is turned on.  If a posit is received, the D700 will
split it and send GPWPLs to both the GPS port and the
serial port.

Alex KF4LVZ

Message: 16