[aprssig] APRS wish list

Bob Burns K4RXR k4rxr_ at rlburns.net
Wed Aug 16 09:59:55 EDT 2006

Quoting Jason Winningham <jdw at eng.uah.edu>:

> Let the D700 operate APRS as normal (TNC in APRS mode) and use an
> external TNC, a packet decoder, or a sound card interface to decode
> the audio output from the D700 for use by the mapping program.  This
> does not allow the program to transmit, but works quite well
> otherwise.

Yes, Jason, that's the answer I'm coming around to also. I might eliminate the
D700 altogether and go with a dedicated radio/tracker combination. But, either
way, feeding the radio's RX audio to a sound card interface on a computer
running an APRS client sounds like a good solution. I'll also have to
split the
GPS data so the non-APRS mapping program has position data.

Thanks to all for your input!

Bob...