[aprssig] APRS messaging break out

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Aug 16 06:37:19 EDT 2006

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Stan - N0YXV wrote:

> I use Javaprssrvr running on a Linux box with AX.25 compiled onto it. There are
> several ways to run Javaprssrvr on a Linux box without having to compiled AX.25
> on it but with AX.25 compiled you can run multiple connections to a KISS TNC.
> Linux just starts treating it like another interface. (I guess it should work
> with out Linux programs as well such as Xastir.)

with "other" Linux programs as well such as Xastir:  Yes.  Xastir
(perhaps multiple copies) plus many other programs can share a TNC
or multiple TNC's this way.

> It shows up when you do an
> "ifconfig". Of course if you find a Distro with AX.25 already compiled on it
> your a head of the game. I never found one so I had to compile my own.

There are distributions that contain working AX.25.  SuSE (certain
versions) does.  I believe Debian does as well.

> I'm guessing you could then write a Perl script (or maybe just grepping it) you
> should be able to pull messages out of it. That is if I'm understanding what it
> is you want to do correctly.

Yes.  You could either attach it to a local aprsd port or to a local
Xastir server port.  I've done so, but not for messaging.  I either
inject packets into the APRS-IS (or Firenet) or scan the APRS-IS
looking for certain types of packets, using Perl.  Works great.