[aprssig] Re: aprs wish list

Steve Bragg steve at hamhud.net
Tue Aug 15 13:22:01 EDT 2006

Quoting Bob Burns K4RXR <k4rxr_ at rlburns.net>

> Subject: [aprssig] APRS wish list
> Here's what I want to do:
> 1. Send ARPS data with my vehicle's position using SmartBeaconing as
> described by Arnerich and Bragg. Beaconing my position should be a
> "hands off" operation from my point of view.

HamHUD is the original SmartBeaconing device.  There's a new firmware
version of HamHUD that allows it to be used with a TM-D700.  There are
also other SmartBeaconing devices, like Byonics' TinyTrak and N1VG's
OpenTracker.  Someone mentioned UI-VIEW32 - I think it has
SmartBeaconing, but I know APRS+SA does.

> 2. Receive APRS data and display the locations and tracks of those
> stations on a fairly accurate map, possibly on a PC.

You can hook a PC to the serial port in parallel with a HamHUD.

<snip>

> 4. Have a "head's up" display of my position. If not "head's up", a
> display that I can mount on the dashboard or console will suffice.

HamHUD takes care of that.  Line 1 of the display always shows speed
and heading (selectable units), and Line 2 can be configured to show
lat/lon, or distance/bearing from any heard station, or a selectable
waypoint.

> 6. Whatever radio that I use for APRS will be dedicated to APRS and
> not have to do dual duty as a voice radio. I would like to implement
> Voice Alert using CTCSS 100 Hz as described in the APRS documentation.

You mean Bob recommends transmitting voice on 144.39?  I'll have to go
back and read that one...

73,

Steve Bragg KA9MVA
(The HamHUD guy)
--
HamHUD - Heads-Up Mobile Digital Ham Radio
http://www.hamhud.net