[aprssig] Re: In car power solution for GPS 18

Ian ZL1VFO zl1vfo at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 13 04:56:12 EDT 2006

> From: "Andrew Rich" <vk4tec at tech-software.net>
> Subject: [aprssig] In car power solution for GPS 18

> Gudday

> When I jump in my car, my GARMIN GPS18 (5volt version) takes a while to lace
> up on the sats. (because it has been off)

> I am wondering if I can throw a gell cell battery in there and charge it
> while the car is running. (and GPS going when the car is off)

> Now I need to know

> 1) Should there be a diode in line ?
> 2) Should there be a resistor to limit current to battery on charge ?
> 3) Any low voltage cutout ideas ?

> Cheers
> Andrew Rich
> Amateur radio callsign VK4TEC
> email: vk4tec at tech-software.net
> web: http://www.tech-software.net
> Brisbane AUSTRALIA

Andrew,

1 Yep, and low voltage drop diode from the ACC. circuit, or use a
relay arrangement that only turns on when the main battery is
charging, and disconnects when you stop the engine.

2 Probably enough resistance in the wiring & internal to the Gel-Cell,
unless you have a whopping great big Gel-Cell...

3 Check this out, should do the job...
<http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/K3132>
<http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/K3132>

73,