[aprssig] Handhelds

mconner at aer.com mconner at aer.com
Thu Aug 10 14:23:22 EDT 2006

I've used both VX-1Rs and VX-2Rs for APRS, specifically for balloon flights.  One of each type fell about 13 miles on two separate flights when the backup APRS beacon detached from the main payload string.  Both were in padded lunch coolers that struck the ground at an estimated 60 mph.  Both are still in use, though the SMA connector on one is a little bent.  The VX-2R was not found for seven months and was none the worse for wear.

Both radios have been used with great success for APRS, SSTV, and for regular HT use.  A cheat sheet, especially for unlocking the keypad, is very handy.  I usually lock the keypad for APRS use and especially for the VX-2R I have to refer to the manual to unlock it.  Personally I find the VX-1R's functionality easier to use for the "hidden" options.

Someone commented earlier that the VX-1R is 2m only.  Both models (-1 and -2) are 2m/70cm TX/RX and have extended receive capabilities, including TV, VHF-air, and broadcast FM.

You will need 3.5mm 4-pin connectors to roll your own interface cable.  They can be hard to find, but try www.byonics.com - I got a few from him when ordering some TinyTraks.

73 de Mark N9XTN