[aprssig] APRS in remote California - some results

Phillip B. Pacier ad6nh at arrl.net
Thu Apr 27 18:27:21 EDT 2006

Where is Plowshare?  Must be up north <g>.

As for the eastern Mojave, the W7RBV-1 station at Baker HS is not an
ideal Digipeater station.  With 75 watts, the only digi I can
occasionally hit with it is ONYX or W7RBV-2.  It's too low, and
consequently doesn't hear as well as I had planned either.  The plans
are to turn that into an IGate only and put a digipeater up on Turquoise
Peak, a little to the NE of Baker.  This will enhance the coverage on
I-15 between Barstow and Mtn. Pass (where N7ZEV-1 has some shadow), as
well as north on 127 through Shoshone and south into the Preserve.
W7RBV-2 has a little coverage west, but not much.  If anyone goes
through Death Valley, I would be interested to know how well it does
over there.

73
Phil - AD6NH
www.aprsca.net