[aprssig] How does this work then?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Apr 26 11:35:10 EDT 2006

dave at emv.co.uk wrote:
> Monitoring the APRS-IS with UiView here in the UK, and see "ct1exe-l"
> (in lower case) shown as located in the UK, with this "frame"
>
> CT1EXE>APU25N,TCPIP*,qAC,CT1EXE,PRTVHF:;ct1exe-l
> *080158z5240.86N\00024.03El030/035
>
> But, on Findu, he's listed as in Portugal.  Regardless of if I use all
> upper case, or lower case for the callsign.
>
> CT1EXE>APU25N,TCPIP*,qAC,CT1EXE,PRTVHF:;CT1EXE-L
> *091524z3923.76N\00907.12Wl030/035 LINK EM CALDAS FRE 74.4 LUSOFONA
>
> This is at aprox 13:40 UTC.
>
> So, what happened there then?  I'm connected to the T2France server.
> Or, was at the time.
>
> 73.
>
> Dave G0WBX.

Interesting...    I think there may be a screwed-up igate in Portugal
that is mangling Mic-E packets.

Yesterday I was testing the track routines for a new version of
APRSpoint, and was watching a CT1 seemingly driving around the high
plains of eastern Colorado.  The track was completely off any roads in
the area.  Af first I thought it might be a farm machine in a field, but
the speed was far too great (50-70 MPH).    Periodically the track line
would do a great circle "hyper-jump" to a location in Portugal for one
posit and then jump back to eastern Colorado, USA.

As I write this, I am watching CT1EIZ-9 speeding off-road through the
grasslands of the  eastern Colorado at  87 MPH at an elevation of 135
feet.  (The high plains of eastern Colorado are about 5000 feet  --
Denver, CO is known as the "Mile High City")

A screen cap from UIview showing this is here:
       http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs/Mystery_CT1.gif

Note that this is a 1400 x 900 pixel screen cap from a W-XGA wide-angle
screen covering the metro Denver/Boulder, Colorado area  - you will see
me in the upper left corner of the screen -- you may have to scroll to
see the suspect station in the lower right  corner.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

NEW!   JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide
  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs/JAVaprsFilters.htm