[aprssig] newbie help

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Apr 25 13:55:42 EDT 2006

Bill KE5HWY wrote...

> i'm busy reading your primer on this subject. how long should
> it be before findu updates its database with my location? i.e. how
> long before i'm re-annoyed and post again :)

If you are making it to an IGate, you will show up at findu.com within
seconds. There are occasions when the frequency is really busy and a
digipeater will wait until the frequency is quiet before it turns around and
spits your beacon out the other side, but the whole process should be almost
instantaneous.

In many locations, you just plain won't be digipeated at all if your path
includes RELAY, WIDE, TRACE or TRACEn-N. As others mentioned, you should try
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 as this is the recommended path in North America now. There
will be occasions when you need / want a longer path, but unless
circumstances require that, try the recommended path first.

An inappropriate path isn't the only reason for "not making it to
findu.com". You could be clobbered by other stations running higher power.
The frequency could be continuously busy in which case your D7 might hold
off transmitting - as it should. You could be in a location where you just
can't be heard by a digipeater or an IGate. However, looking at
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=KE5HWY and
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/near.cgi?call=KE5HWY there should be some
activity and some digis around you. However, LAMOSC (K5DIG-4) that heard you
last is some distance off to your southwest. That was the digipeater and
K5MTN was the IGate in Albuquerque. The nearest digi appears to be TESQUE
(W5SF-2) 12.5 mi NE of you.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH