[aprssig] GPS Speaker Microphone

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Apr 25 10:59:39 EDT 2006

>>> scott at opentrac.org 04/03/06 11:51 AM >>>
>I talked to Pryme.  The [GPS] mic is $585 retail...
>for example, a mic that only lasts 8 hours and needs
>to be plugged in to a charger isn't going to work.

I used to build the APRS Mic-E (MIM) module into
a variety of mics so that APRS could be used with
any radio, just by moving the mic and GPS from radio
to radio.  But my most practical application was
putting a 9V battery and mic in a tiny box from RS
that looked like a speaker mic so that it could be
plugged into any HT in the field and allow APRS
position reporting from handhelds...

See photo: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/miclite3.jpg

The one in the middle will plug into any HT.  Note the
PTT button and mic hole near the top and the
MESSAGE switches on the face and the GPS plug
in on the bottom.  A plug-n-go solution for adding
APRS to any HT...

See the flyer on the product:
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/mic-lite.jpg

I no longer make them... but someone should....

de Wb4APR, Bob