SV: [aprssig] Hang Glider APRS

Rikard Sohlberg rikard.sohlberg at home.se
Tue Apr 18 17:01:04 EDT 2006

Hello. It all comes down to the antenna. We are testing Byon’s PocketTracker
here in Sweden in gliders. 100 km is no problem, subject to a good antenna!
We have tried various antennas and positions, and ‘your mileage will vary’
as they say. From a glider at 1500 m altitude, I pick up the packets on my
TH-D7 at 100 km. The antenna on the tracker is a 50 cm wire. With a rubber
antenna, the range is much much less. I guess with a hang glider, the
antenna is out in the air. But I recommend you use a good size wire or
stick, not a rubber ‘dummy load’!

73 and Good Luck!

SM0JWX/Rikard

  _____