[aprssig] Winaprs and Precision Mapping

Herb Gerhardt hgerhardt at wavecable.com
Tue Apr 18 13:41:39 EDT 2006

Yes, all versions of WinAPRS allow the use of Precision Maps, HOWEVER, not
all versions of Precision Maps.  See below:

Version 2.5.1 and earlier ONLY use PM Version 3.0 or 3.5.

Versions 2.7.0 and later versions ONLY use PM Version 5, and these maps will
only give you a 2/3 screen.  Mark Sproul has basically abandoned supporting
Precision Mapping Maps but will continue to support Version 5 as it works
now.  At times he also issues a special version that will use Version 3 or
3.5 with a full screen view.

Beginning with Version 2.7.0, (Current Version is 2.8.4) he has added
support to Tiger Maps which are Government Maps that you can download for
FREE.  However, these Tiger Maps do require a fairly modern FAST computer
since they to a lot of churning and burning during the display cycle of the
program.  So, for an old slow computer, you would be better off staying with
the Version 2.5.1 program and PM 3 if you can find a copy.

I run Version 2.8.4 on my newer laptop and I primarily use the Tiger Maps.

Hope this clarifies your concerns,

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site:  http://www.nwaprs.info