[aprssig] APRS resolution

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Apr 16 14:12:42 EDT 2006

Couple of questions.

1.  What kind of GPS are you using?
2.  Do you have WAAS or DGPS enabled?
3.  What are your GDOP and PDOP?

In general, a civil GPS doing autonomous positioning without
augmentation is good for 6-10m accuracy.  Lots of things can make it
worse, luck can make it better.  Garmin's EPE, while it's starting to
look promising is neither confirmable nor published in method.  There
are several reverse-engineering attempts that have failed to discern the
exact formula used.

If you have WAAS or DGPS enabled, it's possible to see real accuracy in
the meter, or even sub-meter range, with the antenna and multipath
tending to be the limiting factors.

In general terms, the autocorrelated autonomous position tends to wander
slowly about the real correct position.  Decorrelating the readings by
decimating the output to ~30 sec or longer and then doing a long-term
average (8 hrs of 30-sec readings should do) will provide a reasonable
estimate of the real position.

Anything you get in the submeter range that's not augmented, well, is a
combination of luck and an artifact of the receiver's output.

gerry