[aprssig] Garmin GPS18 problem

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Mon Apr 3 04:28:27 EDT 2006

Sounds similar to the problem I had with my eTrex, after I left it
without batteries for some weeks, err, couple of months!  It lost all
it's internal setup, time, date, last fix etc.  So, it had to do a cold
start.  That took it over 20 minutes, but eventually it all sorted
itself out OK.

Strangely, it did not loose all the fixed waypoints I have in it, or the
last track!

Garmin say that there is no battery backed memory in the thing, and
leaving the batteries out will not "harm" it in any way.  Well, it
depends on what you mean by harm I guess.  No physical damage, or need
for software reload, just what they term a cold start so it could
rebuild it's ephemeris database, or whatever it's called.  (Satelite
tables)

I now leave the batteries in even when not needed!  An old Magellan
GPS3000 I have, also suffers like this, but in that case, it is
documented that it needs the batteries to maintain it's internals.  It
will though flatten them even in the "Off" state in a couple of months.
Anyone got one of the external power/data modules spare for one of them?

Take care.

Dave G0WBX.