[aprssig] RS Digitravelr Power Mod

Wes Johnston wes at kd4rdb.com
Sun Apr 2 16:32:02 EDT 2006

A word about the digitraveller... if you leave batteries in the unit (it can be powered up and down by the serial cable mod with or without batteries)...  And it is good to leave batteries in the unit because it keeps the real time clock running and warm starts take 30 seconds.... vs if you leave the batteries out and the unit has to cold start for 3 minutes or more each time.

Here is the gotcha.... since the batteries don't accept a charge, they eventually run down.  When they get too low, rather than dieing peacfully, they will corrupt the memory in the GPS... requiring manually removing the batteries and making the GPS reset.  This will probably happen every 3 months in regular automotive use.

So, if you need fast starts on the GPS leave batteries in it but plan on replacing them every 2 months proactively.  If you want a reliable GPS that starts every time, leave the batteries out and live with 3 minute startup times.

Wes