[aprssig] Garmin GPS18 problem

Stan - N0YXV n0yxv at gihams.org
Sat Apr 1 23:32:02 EST 2006

> Chris K6DBG wrote...
>
> > I've got a GPS18LVC that has gone ... well, deaf.

Ok I'm _very_ foggy with model numbers but I have one of the Garmin Hockey
Puck GPS units. It stopped working last fall and I couldn't get it to do
anything. Would see satellites but wouldn't get a lock or if it did I'd get
4 valid packets and then boom nothing. Somebody suggested to me that I might
have gotten some moister inside the Puck that was effecting reception. So I
took it off the back trunk which it was magnet mounted to  (outside the car)
and placed it into the back window of the car (inside). Took a couple of
days of sun shine and heat but it's now working again as if nothing had
happened. Can't say for sure it was a moister inside the Puck but it did fix
the problem.