Skier Symbol (was Re: [aprssig] Tractor symbol?)

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Sep 28 22:03:54 EDT 2005

Bob WB4APR wrote on Sept 28 2005

> Ill say what I said last time.  Change your thinking.
> The symbol is a humanoid with 2 legs and 2 arms.
> Meaning, he is probably using an HT and is not
> otherwise in any other vehicle.
>
> THis applies whether he is walking, running, sitting
> skiing, rollerblading, hiking,  sleeping, swimming
> climbing, skating, or dancing.

By your reasoning, the same symbol would be used for tractors, cars,
trucks, and RVs. They all have motors and usually four wheels. I would
have thought that the truck symbol would have been just fine for
tractors, but perhaps you have more APRS equipped tractors than
APRS equipped skiers in your neck of the woods. Because it seems
to be you that makes these decisions, the jogger symbol will have to
do the job, but I was more than surprised that tractors rated their
own symbol with no discussion. Unfortunately, I haven't had
the opportunity to ski the last few years, but I used to literally
spend up to 150 days each year on skis. I had to chuckle when I
saw an announcement (not by you) that the tractor symbol had
been added "after considerable discussion". Was the considerable
discussion the single request on the list Sept 27 2005? <G>

I don't think that every single request for a new symbol should be
accommodated. I also don't think that a single person (no matter who)
should make a decision that affects all APRS users without there at
least being some discussion.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH