[aprssig] Garmin GPS35

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Sep 28 21:29:07 EDT 2005

Stan N0YXV wrote on Sept 28 2005

> More than 30 minutes? I parked last night in an open field with a
> clear view of the south for over 30 minutes with no luck. Still have
> to add all the sentences to the output and then I'll repost the
> data.

If you spent 30 minutes with the GPS running with a clear view of a
good chunk of the sky and it didn't pick up a single satellite, I
would say that your GPS35 is toast. You could try giving it a good
thump - an often used diagnostic procedure - but even if it started
working again, I wouldn't consider it reliable and would retire it
from regular use. It's always nice to fix something, but if you take
troubleshooting time into account, your time spent would probably be
more than half way to buying a replacement. The GPS18 PC or LVC are
reasonably priced - lower than the GPS35 I believe. Lots of people
mention the Deluo GPS receivers as well.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH