[aprssig] Garmin GPS35

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Sep 28 10:33:51 EDT 2005

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, VE7GDH wrote:

> I don't know if you would learn more from the $GPGSV sentence, but
> your GPS35 doesn't seem to be outputting that sentence.

There's another sentence that the GPS35 puts out that has the health
info in it.  It comes out something like once per minute, but if
he's turned off some sentences, perhaps that one doesn't come out
either?

Anyway, when my first GPS-35 stopped working, I used that sentence
to discover that the temp sensor in the unit had stopped working.  I
sent the unit back to Garmin for replacement at their fixed rate and
am on my second unit now.

Here:

    ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/a/archer/gps/gps.pl/

is a program that a friend and I wrote in Perl that will decode many
of the GPS sentences.  It runs on DOS and Linux.  There's a
description of that sentence in there:  $PGRMT

Check that sentence to see if the GPS itself thinks that it is
healthy.