[aprssig] APRS help

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Tue Sep 27 14:32:56 EDT 2005

On Sep 27, 2005, at 1:00 PM, Rahn wrote:

> However, I do not get the "MY POSITION" message back to indicate it's
> being digipeated. But then again, that could be a path problem, right?

right.  I'd guess that it is probably a path issue.

> OK, Jason said I should use WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2. You say I should use
> WIDE2-1. In short, what is the difference between the three. What do
> the numbers signify?

The total is how many times your packet gets digipeated.  E.g., a
WIDE3-3 path or a WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 path is asking for 3 hops (in
slightly different ways).  WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 is asking for 2 hops.

Which is "best" depends on the traffic load and the configuration of
the digipeaters in your area.  I suggested a 3 hop path because that's
appropriate in my area (and I don't know where you are).  In areas with
more APRS traffic, a 2 hop (WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1) or one hop path may be
recommended.

The numbers in WIDEX-Y indicate that you are asking for X hops, and
have Y hops left (i.e., the packet has already been digipeated X-Y
times).

The confusing use of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 instead of the theoretically
equivalent WIDE2-2 is due to the limitations of the archaic equipment
that provide a large percentage of the APRS digipeater infrastructure.
Depending on the equipment in your area, WIDE2-2 may work just fine.
Once you get on the air, try it and see.

-Jason
kg4wsv