[aprssig] Small blimp for digipeater?

Richard Amirault ramirault at erols.com
Sun Sep 25 22:17:28 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wes Johnston"
Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2005 9:10 PM
Subject: [aprssig] Small blimp for digipeater?

> Anyone have a source or web site for a radio controlled blimp?  I'm
> thinking of something that is big enough to fly 70cm ATV and a small
> aprs digipeater.

That's pretty big.  Do you need remote control of the location of the blimp?
Tethered blimps have been available for aerial photography for a while.

http://www.floatograph.com/sale/1.htm

Any blimp big enough to lift all that weight would only be able to fly in
fairly calm winds, not to mention costing an arm and a leg .. then you'll
need a trailer to tow the thing around (you don't want to fill up the blimp
every time you want to fly it .. more $$$)

Also take into consideration the possible problem of interference.  You'll
have two transmitters (ATV and APRS) in close proximity with the R/C
receiver.

Richard Amirault                                N1JDU                Boston,
MA, USA
www.erols.com/ramirault          "Go Fly A Kite"