[aprssig] Re: More on the findU server issue...

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Sep 25 18:13:59 EDT 2005

On Sep 25, 2005, at 5:45 PM, Keith - VE7GDH wrote:

> Sorry if it has been mentioned before, but are you using stand-
> along hard drives for findu.com, or are they set up as a RAID? For
> most people, RAID 1 for would be more important because of the
> redundancy it would provide, but I wonder if RAID 0, 2, 3, 4, 5 or
> 6 (dunno which would be best for findu.com) would be better because
> of the faster access times... or are you already using RAID 0+1 so
> you have both mirroring and striping?

The primary server is set up without raid, a pair of 73GB drives on
separate channels of a split backplane, with the database files
distributed over the two. At the time I didn't want to spend the
money to go for redundancy. It hasn't bitten me yet, but it was
probably a mistake. The secondary server is either a pair of 37GB
drives set up as RAID 0, or 74GB drives as RAID 1, not sure since I
had no involvement in the purchase and configuration.

I had been planning RAID 5 for the new server, but after more
research, I think 1+0 is a better choice (my reading indicates 1+0 is
better than 0+1). Tempting is RAID1/RAID1+0 on a split backplane, but
of course then you need 6 drives which brings the price up...

Steve K4HG