[aprssig] Group Tracker Build Projects ?

Bruce Gordon bgordon at ltronics.com
Sat Sep 24 13:45:04 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Attached are some pictures of our trackers.

 P9150638 is the inside of the top case showing the antenna connector and
the internal copper shield which carries the highest antenna current around
the electronics and across the joint between upper and lower case halves.
The rectangular opening (lighter grey) in the nickel paint for the GPS
antenna can be seen.  The nickel paint alone was not enough to keep the RF
out of the tracker chip.  The white recess mount for the power switch was
made from a plastic pipe cap.

P9150642 is the pcb with the TinyTrack chip, a low dropout
regulator/transient protector for the radio and a surface mount switching
regulator for the GPS on the back side.  The wires go to the power switch,
LEDs, battery clips, power input jack and the radio battery tray, microphone
and earphone plugs. The 8 pin chip is a code translator peculiar to the
Earthmate GPS.  Battery life depends on the amount of channel traffic.  A
lot of traffic will keep the receiver from going to battery save mode and
the receiver is the biggest load.

P9300651 shows the inside of a complete unit.  Three magnets (not visible)
are glued to a steel plate and extend through the bottom of the case.  They
are covered with a mylar sheet to maintain the seal and avoid scratching.
The radio and battery are fastened to the top of the plate with double stick
foam tape.  The GPS and pcb are attached to the top of the case, also with
foam tape.

P9270647 shows 8 units in place in the com van with charging plugs in place.
Felt strips on the metal shelves allows the units to slide out while still
allowing the magnets to hold them firmly in place.  The units are numbered
so the receiving software can assign tactical call signs as needed.

I hope this gives you some ideas for your project.

Bruce Gordon N6OLT