[aprssig] Re: More on the findU server issue...

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Thu Sep 22 18:37:05 EDT 2005

> debating that!) let me try begging someone at Intel for a favor, like an
> inside
> break at net net for one of their servers. It can't hurt to ask, the worst

What's the data center situation for FindU?  Is leasing a server a
possibility?  My stuff is all hosted on a dedicated Athlon XP2800 at the
Savvis data center in Ft. Worth and I've been very happy with the network
performance.  You can get a dual-processor machine with a 10 meg uplink for
$200/month or less.  Not sure what FindU's bandwith and storage requirements
are.  But for $7,000 you can get a decent amount of horsepower in a real
data center for a couple of years.  And if it's easily scalable, which it
seems to be, just get two or more servers and load-balance between them.

> Now, if there was a way to get this under a 501-c-3 unbrella...I'd give
> you odds
> of 90% for getting it. Do we have any way to do that?

I know this might be opening the door for a flamewar, but if I was going to
get behind an APRS database system as a non-profit, public service, I'd want
it to be an open source system like aprsworld.net.  Steve has every right to
keep his code to himself, but from a purely technical perspective I think
Jim's system is at least as capable, and he makes his work available for the
benefit of everyone.  I'll be happy to buy advertising space on FindU and
support it that way, but as long as it's a closed system and there's an open
alternative, I don't intend to support it as a charity.

Scott, N1VG
http://n1vg.net/opentracker