[aprssig] More on the findU server issue...

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Wed Sep 21 22:06:25 EDT 2005

Based on the reliability of the servers we've gotten from Supermicro,
I'd not necessarily recommend a Dell machine.  Also, dollar for
performance, I'm now recommending larger SATA drives over the 146 GB SCSI.

Let me talk to my vendors and see what we can come up with.  $7K is more
than I'm paying, generally for better dressed dual Opterons.

Also, I *strongly* recommend Centos 4.1 over RHEL.  Same code, same
performance, no maintenance fees.  We're competent to help with
management during the learning curve.

I apologize for the lack of admin time.  I've had job duties change over
the last 18 months and I've been up to my eyeballs in my day job.
Again, sorry.  That's all I can offer.  That, and a big pipe in a decent
data center environment that's not likely to go away...

Gerry