[aprssig] RE: Worldwide satellite ground station status page

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 11:11:06 EDT 2005

If an IGate heard the packet direct from RS0ISS-3, then it would be
gated to the IS as normal.

The second option would be a ground station set up as a
sat-to-terrestrial digi which responds to "SGATE".  If it heard the
packet, then it would respond to "SGATE" and digi the packet onto the
terrestrial network which would then hopefully be picked up by a
terrestrial IGate.

A while back WB4APR suggested that when parked and away from your
vehicle to set your D-700 to receive on an APRS satellite frequency
and transmit on the terrestrial APRS frequency.  Then enable digi with
the alias of "SGATE".  If enough people did this, then it would
quickly and easily add many SATGates to the system but it requires
stations transmitting to the satellite to add "SGATE" to the end of
their path.  This can be set up in a D-700 PM so it is just two button
presses to put it in this mode while parked, and two button presses
when you get back in to resume normal ops.

Anything in the path after "SGATE" would be applied to the terrestrial
network.  In the example packet you gave, "WIDE" is after "SGATE" so
any digi on the terrestrial network that responds to "WIDE" would also
digi the packet.  A better path choice today would probably be
"SGATE,WIDE1-1" or  "SGATE,WIDE2-2".

The only side effect is a temporary increase in terrestrial APRS
traffic during a pass, and operators in the area wondering why
stations from hundreds of miles away are showing up all of a sudden.
:-)

A.J.

On 9/21/05, Andrew Rich <vk4tec at tech-software.net> wrote:
> Under APRS IS rules, can this packet be injected back into the aprs network
> using VK3JFK ?
>
> 2005-09-21 12:02:05 22:02:05R VK3JFK>APRS,RS0ISS-3*,SGATE,WIDE Port=1 <UI
> Len=46>:
> =3715.00S/14421.00E-73' Via Satellite {UISS41}
>
> I can not seem to find Rcihards gate from satellite to IS
>
> Ideas ?

> Andrew Rich - VK4TEC
> Satellite Ground Station for PCSAT2
> vk4tec at tech-software.net