[aprssig] RINO suggestion

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Tue Sep 20 22:08:35 EDT 2005

We now have a program that takes rino positions and icons and converts
them to aprs positions.  That program can then pass the positions along
to xastir and probably winaprs (untested).

Now, what if a rino user were in trouble.  It would be nice to be able
to tell my guys in the field (the ones with the rino units) that they
could do "something" to their rino to cause APRS to see an emergency
message packet... just like the emergency mic-e packets.

Would it be that we select a certain icon on the rino unit AND some text
in the radio callsign?  Or just some text in the radio callsign?
Perhaps EMERGENCY for a callsign?  Or TESTING for the test?  I dunno....

Are there any suggestions?  I'd like to suggest right off the bat that
we come up with two ways to send an emergency packet... one that is
real, one that is for testing.
Wes