[aprssig] xastir as a satellite ground station (suggestions)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Sep 15 13:44:44 EDT 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Andrew Rich wrote:

> 1) XASTIR passes local posit info to INET from RF but seems to not pass
> TELEM from satellite (which is what I am after)

> PCSAT2>BEACON,SGATE,WIDE:T#959,096,103,146,090,094,11111111,0010,1
> PCSAT2>BEACON,SGATE,WIDE:T#960,145,143,019,001,212,11111111,0011,1

We'll look into that.  Not many of our users have expressed interest
in telemetry in the past, so little attention has been payed to it.

> 2) Because the log files do not have the date / time out the front, it makes
> it really hard to use the data for a web page (or search)

> <how come you need to write so many date and times to the log files ?>

It gets written out every 30 seconds I believe. The original idea
was that this would save disk space for internet logging.  There
have been enough people wanting this changed over the years that we
should probably look into it.

I hesitate to put the time at the beginning of each packet though as
then we couldn't just suck in the log file without chopping them off
first.  It'd rather put them in as comments immediately preceeding
each line, like this:

  # Fri Sep 16 00:10:51 EST 2005
  PCSAT2>BEACON,SGATE,WIDE:T#959,096,103,146,090,094,11111111,0010,1

The format could certainly be changed to YYMMDD HHMMSS, which is
much preferred for sorting.  It would be a simple matter to combine
the lines with a little script to give date-in-front for each
packet.  Simpler than the script just posted which works with our
current format.