[aprssig] Sending messages from the keyboard.

Bruce & Leigh Coates bruce.coates at sasktel.net
Wed Sep 14 23:47:16 EDT 2005

Hi

I'm under a deadline to get an APRS presentation ready for the weekend and
don't have time to look through the archives and such.  If I have the time,
I'd do the research myself.

A fellow ham has asked whether he can send an APRS message using just a
plain TNC-2 and simple terminal program such as HyperTerminal.

I'll be operating a station at a search and rescue command center under
VE5BNC.  The other ham will be operating a portable station with a TNC-2 and
a laptop running a terminal program under the call VE5RY-??.  His home
station will be setup up for digipeating under the call of VE5RY.

The question is, "What exactly would he type into his terminal program so
that it creates and sends an APRS message to me either direct or via the
digipeater?"

Thanks in advance.

Bruce - VE5BNC