[aprssig] Re: Bad Press in Wall Street Journal Sep. 6th 2005...

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Sep 14 18:11:53 EDT 2005

A favorable writeup of hams in the latest disaster:

    http://www.outlook4mobility.com/commentary2005/sept1205.htm

"Meanwhile, as happens in every disaster in recent times, the amateur
radio community was immediately on the scene and ready. The Red Cross
has, for a long time, worked with the ham radio community to provide
communications to and from shelters and other locations where its
personnel were deployed. The Amateur Radio Emergency Services (ARES) was
also deploying hams with their personal communications equipment and
controlled network communications into and out of the affected areas
were on the air in short order.

As a side note but of importance, at least one wireless network
operator, Verizon, has long recognized the emergency communications
capabilities of ham radio. A number of its cell site technicians, radio
engineers and other employees are ham radio operators who want to
provide communications in times of disasters. Verizon's management
realizes the benefit of ham radio and has promoted its use in
emergencies by providing radio equipment and license training for its
employees who are interested.

One reason hams can respond so quickly is that they can set up
"infrastructure-less" communications. They hit the ground with their own
equipment and can quickly and easily set up local, regional, national
and even international communications."

" One of the stories I heard but cannot verify is that some of the
people on the ground during the rescue operations "acquired" a number
FRS radios in order to be able to communicate with each other. Some of
them even started telling people to contact them on FRS channel 9, code
11 (911). If this is true, it shows how inventive people are when they
have to be. (Note: I am told that many ski patrols have adopted the 9-11
family radio channel, just like CB channel 9 was monitored by some
public safety agencies in the old days). I have several pairs of these
radios and extra batteries ready to go in our emergency kits."

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths

Updated APRS Symbol Chart