[aprssig] AEA PK-88 as APRS home station?

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Tue Sep 13 21:43:15 EDT 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Stan Coleman [NØYXV] wrote:

> I have two PK-88's and both work nicely in KISS mode. I haven't experienced the
> heat problems mentioned below. If I recall correctly the command to put it into
> KISS Mode is simply KISS ON. If you want a more detailed explaintion I can dig
> out my manual later and post (or email) you a small section.

I have a couple of them, but both are non-functional now.  Have to
take a look at them one of these days and get them on the air again.
Used them for many years.  Roger on the heat, so don't put anything
on top of them.

I think you do "KISS ON" and then "RESTART" or "RESET", can't
remember which.  Then it's a KISS-only TNC and most programs will
support it fine.

One difference in command-mode (instead of KISS mode) is that the
headers coming out of it look different than a TAPR-2 style header,
so the APRS programs have to know that.

PK-88 is not a TAPR-2 compatible.  It uses a Zilog 8530 chip instead
of a Z80 SIO chip.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer