[aprssig] Help setting up Kenwood D700A

Andy Gonzales KG6RWO at comcast.net
Sun Sep 11 22:57:59 EDT 2005

Vic,

APRS point has to be on the low side of the scale regarding utility and documentation. The best thing about it is that you get MapPoint for free and I use that all the time for a lot of deifferent things. I started with WinAPRS with a D7, moved over to APRSppoint with the D7 because I wanted better maps, but quickly moved to UIVIEW which is the gold standard.  A lot of features but the documentation is so good it even nags you to read it.  The author is now SK but there is a group that still supports it.  For the naps, you need to get PMap Server.  I am not saying that it will be real simple to install but its a beaut. Now I have a D700 and its great -- except my TNC board cracked at the GPS jack.  But Kenwood is making a rush fix.

I also had problems seeing myself.  You know that you don't actually see your RF coming back to you as a position report.  For he radio only you get "MY POSITION" on the screen with an optional beep.  What you see in the software is basically a copy of the packet going out.  APRSpoint was very hit and miss.  I also had problems with objects and findu.  If you try sending your position manually (F6) you should see the "ON AIR" mesage on the radio.

Your 1-9-5 and -6 settings are correct.  I have sent you some files privately that may help.
7  3

Andy