[aprssig] findU grim times ahead...

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Sep 7 14:23:23 EDT 2005

Well, I have the backup server running as well as I can, and yet it
cannot even handle half the load. When the primary server goes
offline (I've asked to have my server be the last plug pulled, but it
can happen at any time), expect to get a lot of delays and errors
when trying to access findU. Gerry has ordered more memory for the
backup machine and I expect that will help, but it is still 4 year
old hardware faced with a very large load. Hopefully the server will
be in its new co-lo site early in the week.

Normally, when faced with inadequate hardware, I'd just order a new
machine and bump the old one to become the backup, but I found out
today I've gotten a job as a park ranger at a state park here in the
Keys, so in a month I'll be earning less than 10% of what I make now.
I'll be much happier, but I won't be spending $7000 of my own money
for the next server. I have a couple thousand in the fund from the
Google ads and donations, and maybe after the server is in its new
digs I'll try to mount a fundraiser for the rest so the backup can be
a real backup...

Sorry for any troubles that you experience in the next week...

Ranger Steve ;-)