[aprssig] APRS Voice Alert

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Sep 7 12:25:05 EDT 2005

>>> HamLists at ametx.com 09/07/05 11:26 AM >>>
>Where do you get 85%?  I just ran some queries
>on stations heard over the last 30 days:
>  Mic-E stations: 7241
>  TH-D7s: 602
>  TM-D700s: 3596
>  Total non-Mic-E stations 18757
>I don't see 85% jump out at me from those numbers.

The statistics vary widely by area.  Some areas
see most mobiles as Kenwoods.  Other areas see
most mobiles as trackers.  But the key is that most
APRS hams have multiple stations.

As we developed those numbers back in 2004 from
FINDU data, the 85% is the percentage of APRS
operators that have or use a D7 orD700 for two-way
APRS while mobile.  Even though there may be even
more  one-way trackers on the air now, they dont
really  change that 2-way APRS statistic.

And I used that statistic, because the topic of
Voice Alert applies to those people with those
radios who want 2-way communications.

Yes, the statistic was not obvious, and it took
several passes through FINDU data to derive it.

Bob