[aprssig] APRS Voice Alert

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 12:11:44 EDT 2005

On 9/7/05, Dave Baxter <dave at emv.co.uk> wrote:
>I'm not in any way saying it's not a good idea.  Just perhaps it's
>misguided to propose it's widespread use on a national APRS frequency.

Yes, you are correct.  The only stations that should be using it are
mobile or portable stations.  It should not have widespread use.  A
home user or obviously a digi should not use voicealert because that
wouldn't make any sense.

The purpose of voicealert is to help set up a voice contact for the
mobile or portable station.  It should be used only by an attended
station that wishes to "participate".  Running it unattended or on a
wide coverage station is counterproductive and only invites problems.

>an excelent tool,
>so long as the station's hardware supports it, and an awful lot of it
>doesnt!...

Hmmm.. most radios these days support tone squelch, don't they?
Actually, they don't even need to support APRS.  I keep 144.39 CT100
in the scan list of my mobile (non-APRS) radio of my wife's car.  It
doesn't transmit, but it does listen for voicealert stations.