[aprssig] APRS Voice Alert

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Sep 7 12:09:52 EDT 2005

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, AE5PL Lists wrote:

> The key words were "It is a fact".  I know a lot of people using Icom
> dual-band radios with trackers that can make use of Voice Alert.  Mind
> you, I was not commenting on the whether or not Voice Alert is of value.

Nor was I.  I have no Kenwood APRS radios, although I'm currently
using a Kenwood 2M radio as my APRS rig.

> I am simply questioning the source of Bob's "facts".

I believe I may have been the source of the numbers, quite a while
back.  Here are the current numbers, just for reference:

2005/09/06 17:01:59 1126026119 1945 482 0 132 206 87 6 4 20 1 171 595 372  69 256 574 335 322  77   2  25 3936

And here are the variables passed to the Perl printf() function:

      $y,
      $m,
      $d,
      $h,
      $min,
      $s,
      time,
      $uiview,
      $winaprs,
      $aprsscs,
      $aprsplus,
      $xastir,
      $dosaprs,
      $aprsce,
      $pocketaprs,
      $macaprs,
      $aprspoint,
      $aprsd,
      $network,
      $uidigi,
      $digined,
      $experimental,
      $kenwood,
      $mice,
      $tinytrak,
      $nmea,
      $hamhud,
      $opentracker,
      $other;

Those numbers were a summary over a 1-hour time period, snagged
directly off the inet feeds, sorted by callsign-ssid.  I see 574
Kenwoods counted, 335 Mic-E, 322 TinyTrak's (that weren't in Mice-E
mode), 77 NMEA trackers, 2 hamhuds, 25 OpenTrackers that were in
APRS mode.

There's no way to tell whether some of the Mic-E units were
Kenwoods.  Kenwood got the packet type character wrong for a while,
so newer Kenwoods may not be distinguishable from other Mic-E
transmissions now.  Those familiar with Kenwoods know more about
this than I do.