[aprssig] MFJ1274 as a NEWn-N digi?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Sep 7 12:05:54 EDT 2005

smithb at bpsmicro.com wrote:

> I suddenly find myself rushed to clarify a few things with respect to
> our local digi upgrade, so I'll make this short and sweet. :-)
>
> I have access to an MFJ 1274 TNC for free. I've been told this is
> *not* a TNC2 clone so not suitable for the UIDIGI-ROM swap. That just
> leaves me with the question as to whether I'm going to be able to make
> this TNC work as a NEWn-N digipeater (fully compliant except the SSn-N
> is optional in our area right now). Are there any special things I
> need to know? I have some experience with the KPC TNCs, but the bulk
> of my "expertise" is with UI-View-based digi operation.
>
> If the 1274 is not going to be suitable, I can easily look into the
> other options. I'm just under some pressure to come up with a solution
> fairly quickly. Any advice (up to and including specific programming
> instructions (-: ) greatly appreciated. You can respond off-list to my
> callsign @rac.ca.
>
> Brad.
> VE3BSM

The 1274 is a derivitive of the TNC2 with enhanced features. However, it
has no APRS-specific firmware and is incapable of callsign
substitution,  N-n decrementing and other features requred for APRS
operations.  As-is, it can only implement a "dumb" WIDE1-1 single-hop
home-fill-in type digi.

I believe it can be made to work with UIdigi, but requires some
motherboard hardware hacking as well as the firmware change.

It can be given "APRS smarts" if used in KISS mode with an external
program (digi-NED, UIview, etc) running on an attached PC.

Off-the-shelf stand-alone (no PC required) alternatives include:

o     The ubiquitous KPC3+ (not original KCP3) TNC

o     The new SV2AGW micro-TNC.  This cigarette-pack-sized
USB-interfaced TNC can run stand-alone as a smart digipeater.

o     In the near future, an optional piggyback daughter board will be
available to convert the inexpensive KISS-only TNC-X (USD $50 kit) into
a standalone new-paradigm digipeater.   Details at:
     http://TNC-X.com

P.S.  you committed the common error of quoting an email address or URL
at the end of a sentence, and then reflexively typed a end-of-sentence
period immediately after the address.  This breaks the automatic
live-link click-to-reply function of most email programs since the
ending period gets quoted into the TO: address on the "send new message"
form creating an invalid email address.

One MUST leave plenty of white space around cited email addresses and
URLs (preferrably quote them on a separate line for easy
select-copy-paste) to avoid this problem.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths

Updated APRS Symbol Chart