[aprssig] APRS Voice Alert

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Sep 7 12:01:23 EDT 2005

>>> dave at emv.co.uk 09/07/05 11:15 AM >>>
>Where do you get your 85% from.

Worldwide there are 27,000 APRS stations
of which 15% are D7 or D700's.  But
many people have more than one station so
there are really only about 11,000 separate
users.  This means 38% of all users have a
D7 or D700.  And this is 57% of all mobiles.

But of all mobiles that can *receive* APRS
while mobile, (thus are capable of two way
communications) this represents 85% of all
such mobiles.

See: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/aprsstats.txt

So the statistic is that 85% of all users that
use APRS two-way in their vehicles are using
a D7 or D700.  Thus "Voice-Alert" which is a
one button setting on  these radios is an
excellent feature to enable better communications
connectivity between these users.

Bob, WB4APR