[aprssig] APRS Voice Alert

John Ronan aprssig at ei7ig.org
Wed Sep 7 05:12:56 EDT 2005

On 7 Sep 2005, at 09:59, Dave Baxter wrote:

> As you well know.  APRS is a semi automated digital communication
> system.  Why mess with it by advocating the use of voice on the same
> frequency as well, even if just for "calling"?  If the operator is
> about, they would respond to an APRS message just as well if able.

You are assuming that their set-up is capable of messaging,
OpenTracker/TinyTracker are not.
Before I got the D700E I had no other option.

>   For
> calling drivers, they then have the hassle of QSY'ing, and killing the
> APRS function before talking, and doing all that in reverse after the
> chat.  When driving a vehicle, that is unacceptable, and there are
> fewer
> and fewer places to safely pull over and stop for a minute ot two.

After someone 'called' me I suggested a freq, press one button and
I'm on that frequency

> On a separate "net" frequency for special purposes (events or
> emergency
> coordination)

But this isn't what its aimed at (Or have I got the wrong end of the
stick again).