[aprssig] APRS Voice Alert

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Sep 6 09:50:14 EDT 2005

Dave,
I think you are missinterpreting what Voice Alert
actually is.  It is for making a "CALL", *not* for
talking.  One makes the call as "XXXXXX this is
YYYYYY call me on ZZZ.ZZ".  Nothing more.

It takes 4 seconds.  And even in the Washington
DC area which is the most saturated APRS
system in the world, now that we have the New-N
in place, the channel is often clear for 5 to 10
seconds most of the time.

>>> dave at emv.co.uk 09/06/05 4:39 AM >>>
>anyone using any voice on the European
>frequency of 144.800, will be seriously unpopular!

As well they should be if more than a simple call
to make contact in the absence of other means.

>You are unlikely to be heard at first in any case...

Remember, Voice alert is only for a last-resort
means of making contact with another station
that is DIRECT and in SIMPLEX range and for
whom you do not know what other channel he
is monitoring for voice.

> but for normal APRS use, and especialy anyone
>visiting the UK or Europe, don't use voice
>allert, unless you want flames!...

Or unless you understand what it is and how to
use it.  That is, only to make a voice call to
QSY to a working frequency.  The only thing Voice
alert is, is the knowledge that the person you
might need to make contact with is on a KNOWN
frequency and *is listening* or would hear the call.

>In any case, it only works AFIK for users with
>the D700 rig...  D7's,.   [Those with] trackers,
>radio's and TNC's etc, wont open a new RX audio path.

It will work with any such mobile device or TNC if it is
connected to the external audio or data jack
of a radio instead of the speaker.

But absolutely only applies to mobiles that have
the driver *actively* present and listening.  If
there is no human immediately listening, then
Voice Alert should be OFF.  And yes, it is trivial
to set up on the D7 or D700 and that is generally
what it is for.  We are not encouraging others
to go to lengthy measures to implement it.

Its just a capability that is built-in to the D7 and
D700, so we remind those owners of its utility.

Bob