[aprssig] Re: Duplexer or Diplexer

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Sep 5 20:29:22 EDT 2005

tyler at allisonhouse.com wrote:

>>kkotch at earthlink.net wrote:
>>

>>>Scenario:  Dual-band mobile and separate 2m mobile with tnc.
>>>

>>>Can a duplexer/diplexer be built (or is one available) that would
>>>allow both radio systems to be hooked up to one dual-band antenna?
>>>The dual-band radios with one antenna lead has a built-in duplexer.
>>>Is that where the problem would occur trying to coordinate another
>>>duplexer?
>>>
>>>Given the above comments about duplexer/diplexer it would be best to run
>>>two antennas. But now I have two antennas in the VHF band that MUST be
>>>within 6 to 10feet of each other given limited space on the top of a car.
>>>
>>>Besides getting them as far apart as possible is there anything else to
>>>protect each of the radios from being fried?
>>>
>>>-Tyler

You won't "fry them".  You will only overload and temporarily block the
receiver of one radio while the other one is transmitting.  In the case
of the APRS radio transmitting, that means you will get a one second or
so hole punched in your 2M voice RX whenever the APRS radio beacons.
[ I have THREE antennas attached to radios capable of transmitting on 2M
and 450 (Kenwood TM-742, TM-D700 and Yaesu FT-100) within 3 feet of each
other on the roof of a Passat wagon with no problems other than receiver
blocking. ]

Minimize the interruptions by shortening the APRS bursts by using Mic-E
compressed format (which, by the way, is the one and only format the
D700 and TH-D7 use).  [ The Mic-E format puts out a posit in less than
ONE-THIRD the time of the normal human-readable "APRS format", and in
less than ONE-TENTH the length of a raw NMEA beacon! ]

Send ONLY the position.  Leave the verbose comments off the end of the
position beacon  Use the separate "STATUS" beacon instead of adding
comments to the posit.  Set the status beacon to be transmitted only on
every 5th or 10 posit beacon.

Properly configured, a Mic-E posit can block your other radio(s) for
less than half a second on each posit beacon. This is about the same
degree of interruption as running priority scan, on radios that support
this feature, during a QSO.

Setting the transmit power of the APRS beacon radio to only 5 watts or
so will frequently allow you to continue to receive on the voice radio
if you are working through a local repeater that you are receiving with
a strong "full smash" signal.

====  Other alternatives:    ======

o     Spend thousands and thousands of dollars each for high-end
professional land-mobile radios that have much greater spectral purity
on transmit and much better receiver overload immunity on receive  than
"civilian" ham gear.

o     The only TOTAL  solution is to conduct voice operations on another
band.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths