[aprssig] Getting started in APRS

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 4 01:00:57 EDT 2005

Bill, it sounds like you want to get started using RF, not simply
connecting via an Internet feed, correct?  GOOD FOR YOU!

Here's a great web site for a lot of APRS resources:
http://dididahdahdidit.com/

There are many more so I won't bogg you down with too much too soon.
I also suggest you download Bob Bruninga's APRS-DOS documentation
at:
http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html

This is where it all started by the father of the mode.
His site is more a combat style web site with info thrown up quickly,
then hopefully organized a little better as he and his students have time.
Not a lot of folks use the DOS interface much any more, but I suggest
the documentation as essential reading to garner the best understanding
of the "concept" of APRS vice the myriad of ways it has been implemented
in various user interfaces.

Certainly you will have numerous specific questions, please feel free to
e-mail me directly or post questions to the list, that's what we're here
for.

73's
Ray - WB3ABN
Kingston, WA