[aprssig] APRS Activity in New Orleans

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 22:57:15 EDT 2005

So I don't ruffle any feathers, please read this before continuing:

DO NOT SEND MESSAGES TO ANY OF THESE STATIONS UNLESS YOU HAVE A VALID,
USEFUL REASON TO DO SO!  Just like phone operation, LISTEN and NEVER
TRANSMIT unless appropriate.  We all wish them well, but they don't
need any more "wishing you well" or "hope you are okay" messages
cluttering their APRS displays.

Having said that, the following link shows APRS stations in the
vicinity of New Orleans which are active and making it into the
APRS-IS within the last four hours (realtime):

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/near.cgi?zip=70112&last=4&distance=70&n=50&rate=1

AA5ED-10 and K5LSU-5 seem to be gating most of the packets.

Check the message traffic to and from these stations.  There are a lot
of incoming "wishing you well" messages, but if you sort through
those, you will see some stations appear to be actively communicating
and passing useful traffic or at least trying to get things
coordinated.  No, APRS isn't the first mode you go to in an emergency
like this, but it is another tool in the tool bag.

Also, consider the information in this link showing *some* of the
stations receiving the W5UK-9 digi in New Orleans:

http://www.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/ham/aprs/path.cgi?call=W5UK-9

Once again, I must stress:

--
A.J. Farmer, AJ3U