[aprssig] Re: Serial port to USB question

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Sep 3 22:52:58 EDT 2005

kd4moj at www.kd4moj.org wrote:

> [...]
YES !!!   These cables are active devices with dedicated
microcontrollers encapulated in the DB9 housing.

> o     What operating system (Win 98SE, Win2K or WinXP) are you
> using?[Doug Ferrell]  --< he is running XP

Just to emphasize that the "Yes it works, No it doesn't" reports from
other users don't prove anything unless you indicate what OS you are
running.

>    Sorry but the bottom line, his USB to serial is working.... Vic
> stated in his message that saw the data in Hyperterm. USB-SERIAL is
> working. So we are now down to configuration for APRSPoint. Service
> packs,."root ports", IC Chipsets are a moot point for this particular
> setup.
>

> ....D

As I pointed out in my original post, that fact that the thing works
with app A (Hyperterm) won't prove it will work with app B (APRSpoint).
   This is  due to differences in various applicatons' tolerance for
less-than-perfect emulation of hardware I/O buffer stacks, interrupt
latencies, hand-shaking timing,etc.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths