[aprssig] Serial port to USB question

Vic Fraenckel victorf at windreader.com
Sat Sep 3 21:11:03 EDT 2005

I am attempting to connect my D700 to APRSPoint. I have a 'modern' Dell laptop sans serial ports. I can attach the TNC output to a USB port using a Belkin Serial => USB converter and can see the APRS packets streaming into a terminal program - 9600Baud, 8N1. So I am sure the converter is working and the comport selection matches what is found in the Windows XP Device table (com4 in this case). However attaching in EXACTLY the same way to APRSPoint and setting the TNC port as above does not work. I get the error message "TNC not detected". I have MapPoint 2004 installed and am using AP 2.1 for MP 2004. I AM a registered user of both MP and AP.

Any enlightenment will be appreciated.

BTW:  I have queried Michael Cai, the author of AP, but have never received a reply. Is he still with us? I queried him off his www.APRSPoint.com  site.

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman