[aprssig] APRS In the New Orleans Area

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Sat Sep 3 14:52:56 EDT 2005

The other option is anarchy which is exactly what occurred in New
Orleans.  I highly recommend for people interested in how emergencies
are handled and how amateur radio operators in particular should respond
to take the online FEMA and ARRL EmComm courses.

> Now having said that I can also see the flip side. If you
> randomly start throwing RF around in different bands you
> might block some "Vital"
> communications. Now the only thing I wish somebody could
> explain to me is how reconstituting an already existing APRS
> network in an area where everybody knows the frequency is in
> use could in any way possible block "Vital" communications?

Because the people "reconstituting an already existing APRS network" are
resources who are supposed to be helping with the immediate emergency.
It is just like the power company trucks going into the affected areas
after the storm.  They have specific tasks to do, in a specific order.
They don't go down a street where they haven't been assigned saying
"Gee, I think I'll fix that line."  If that type of attitude were taken,
it would take multiple times longer for actual reconstruction to happen.
In an emergency, people do what is _necessary_ to survive and then to
_improve_ the situation.  Adding an unused infrastructure just doesn't
happen to be high on EOC to-do list, no matter how much some people
_wish_ the EOC's would use it the way they think it should be used.

I agree with Rich.  If all of you arm-chair quarterbacks want to discuss
why oh why they aren't concentrating on APRS in the affected areas, have
at it.  Personally, I am continuing with my active assistance with the
emergency at hand.

Have fun with all of your would have, could have, should haves and be
sure to solve all of the problems for the folks in the affected areas.
I am sure they all appreciate everyone's intent.

If you want to learn about emergency communications, take a few online
courses.  You will get much better (and accurate) information than you
will receive on this SIG.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net